Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What is a changemaker's perspective?


In my first post, I talked about how one of the regular chores of this blog will be to look at the news from a changemaker's perspective.

The next thought that popped into my head, of course, was: So, what the heck IS a changemaker's perspective?

There are several answers to that question.

1. Honestly, I have no frigging idea. You do realize, don't you, that I'm making this up as I go along.

2. Different folks will probably have different, and equally valid, ideas about such a perspective. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the subject.

3. Given that I've assigned this task to myself, though, I really do have to make a first attempt to define the phrase. Thus, my first, best guess is that a changemaker would view the top stories of the day with a skeptical eye and would ask herself the following.
  • Is the lead -- the angle or theme -- of the story what's really happening, or is the true story being missed?
  • What questions should have been asked, but weren't?
  • What is the frame of the story, and is that the only way to think about whatever events are being reported?
  • Is this the most important news of the day, or is the real top story being missed?
  • Based on the information in this story, should I take action? If so, what should or can I do?
Am I on target? Do I have rocks in my head? What do you think?

No comments: